Tuesday, July 19, 2011

resale value...

A recent customer spent a few days, well perhaps a week..driving me up a wall about buying a bike from me. The most interesting part was how he told me that he could buy a BH road bike from a friend with a 'connection' at a much smaller price; clearly in an attempt to get me to lower mine. It was a great tactic, although a bit cliche.
The real kicker was when he asked about 'resale value', more to the point was if the bike would gain value in time. Holy shit, is this a house? have my bikes gone on a publicly traded market that dips and rises in value based on the amount of money the fed is willing to back for lending to buy them? am I charging too little?
Gimme a break. These are bicycles, metal things cut and welded (or glued) together to make something fun that can provide an escape from the realities of life. Do the guys that wear full lycra team kits out there actually think they are riding professionally? no, of course not, but they are escaping life for a bit and that is awesome!
The guy bought the bike (pic above), and busted my balls for a free computer and water bottle and anything else I could offer him, and I took care of him, because hopefully after all the sales bullshit is over, that person will be out riding and suddenly realize how much fun riding is.
Group hug is over, time to work

2 comments: